Today is World Book Day, a day when children (and adults) all over the world celebrate books and reading. (I’ll let you into a secret….I believe everyday is World Book Day!)
I’ve been doing some research about reading….
Did you know?
- If you read for 20 minutes a day you will have read 1,800,000 words in one year!
- You will learn between 4,000 and 12,000 words in one year just by reading!
- Regular reading improves brain connectivity, reduces stress, aids sleep, helps increase self confidence and reduces feelings of loneliness.
- Reading can take you all over the world….in your imagination!
- Regular reading improves your concentration and helps your understanding of different cultures and customs.
You don’t just have to read books. You can read ANYTHING – Leaflets, newspapers, magazines, cereal packets, comics, labels on jars/tins, road signs, cookery books, poems, jokes, instructions, labels on the supermarket shelves, bottles of bubble bath, anything with words!!
You can also read ANYWHERE – at bedtime, in the bath, listen to stories in the car, read in the garden, read on the beach, read in the car, read in a tractor, read up a tree…..
So, today (and everyday) enjoy a story. Listen to a story or read to yourself. How does it make you feel?